- Registration Form
- Accommodation Form
- Opening & Closing Ceremony Videos
- Registration Fee
- Key Dates
- Payment Methods
- Scientific Programme
- Visa and Invitation Letter
- Distinguished Plenary Lectures
- Organizing Committee
- Scientific Committees
- Scientific Programme at a Glance
- Detailed Scientific Programme
- Submitted Abstracts
- Paper Submission
- Special Workshop
- Student Paper Award
- Instructions for pptx presentation upload
- Instructions for Chairs
- Congress Venue
- Athens General Information
- Athens Cultural Highlights
- ICSV23 Special Events & Tours
- IIAV Member Special Event
- Optional Tours
- Exhibition Opportunities & Information
- Exhibition’s Plan
- Exhibitors & Sponsors
- UTH - University of Thessaly - Department of Civil Engineering
- UTH - LTEA
- HELINA - Hellenic Institute of Acoustics
- HITE - Hellenic Institute of Transportation Engineers
- NTUA - LEE
- NTUA - Laboratory of Pavement Engineering
- NTUA - School of Architecture - Laboratory of Acoustics
- Contact Us
- Publication Ethics and Malpractice Statement
The Concert Hall Gardens are open to the public from 10am to sunset each day. The hope is that with their greenery, flowers and trees the gardens will attract people of all ages, who will find somewhere to relax and escape the demanding pace of the city and make the gardens a second home – one offering a wealth of cultural and educational activities organized by the Concert Hall. The first musical events staged in the gardens were enthusiastically welcomed by the public. Perhaps the most unforgettable occasion was the concert by the Vienna Philharmonic, conducted by Riccardo Muti. No fewer than 4,000 people, seated on benches or lying on the lawns, among the orange and carob trees and the acacias, under the Attic sky, enjoyed the concert relayed live on giant screens.
We will drive along the coastal road, past the wonderful beaches of Glyfada, Vouliagmeni and Varkiza to the most southern point of Attica, Cape Sounion, where the white marble pillars of the Temple of Posseidon stand. On the way you have a splendid view of the Saronic Gulf and the little islands offshore. Apart form its historical importance Sounion offers the most breath taking views in the Attica region. After visiting the Temple of Posseidon, you have time to walk at leisure on the rocky promontory of Sounion. Late in the afternoon you will have the opportunity to enjoy the majestic sunset which paints the landscape and the ancient ruins with wonderful colours.
The monuments of the Acropolis have withstood the ravages of past centuries, both of ancient times and those of the Middle Ages. Until the 17th century, foreign travellers visiting the monuments depicted the classical buildings as being intact. This remained the case until the middle of the same century, when the Propylaia was blown up while being used as a gunpowder store. Thirty years later, the Ottoman occupiers dismantled the neighbouring Temple of Athena Nike to use its materials to strengthen the fortification of the Acropolis. The most fatal year, however, for the Acropolis, was 1687, when many of the building’s architectural members were blown into the air and fell in heaps around the Hill of the Acropolis, caused by a bomb from the Venetian forces. Foreign visitors to the Acropolis would search through the rubble and take fragments of the fallen sculptures as their souvenirs.
It was in the 19th century that Lord Elgin removed intact architectural sculptures from the frieze, the metopes and the pediments of the building.In 1833, the Turkish garrison withdrew from the Acropolis. Immediately after the founding of the Greek State, discussions about the construction of an Acropolis Museum on the Hill of the Acropolis began. In 1863, it was decided that the Museum be constructed on a site to the southeast of the Parthenon and foundations were laid on 30 December 1865.The building program for the Museum had provided that its height not surpasses the height of the stylobate of the Parthenon. With only 800 square meters of floor space, the building was rapidly shown to be inadequate to accommodate the findings from the large excavations on the Acropolis that began in 1886.
A second museum was announced in 1888, the so-called Little Museum. Final changes occurred in 1946-1947 with the second Museum being demolished and the original being sizably extended.By the 1970s, the Museum could not cope satisfactorily with the large numbers of visitors passing through its doors. The inadequacy of the space frequently caused problems and downgraded the sense that the exhibition of the masterpieces from the Rock sought to achieve.The Acropolis Museum was firstly conceived by Constantinos Karamanlis in September 1976. He also selected the site, upon which the Museum was finally built, decades later. With his penetrating vision, C. Karamanlis defined the need and established the means for a new Museum equipped with all technical facilities for the conservation of the invaluable Greek artifacts, where eventually the Parthenon sculptures will be reunited.For these reasons, architectural competitions were conducted in 1976 and 1979, but without success. In 1989, Melina Mercouri, who as Minister of Culture inextricably identified her policies with the claim for the return of the Parthenon Marbles from the British Museum, initiated an international architectural competition.
The results of this competition were annulled following the discovery of a large urban settlement on the Makriyianni site dating from Archaic to Early Christian Athens. This discovery now needed to be integrated into the New Museum that was to be built on this site.In the year 2000, the Organization for the Construction of the New Acropolis Museum announced an invitation to a new tender, which was realized in accord with the Directives of the European Union. It is this Tender that has come to fruition with the awarding of the design tender to Bernard Tschumi with Michael Photiadis and their associates and the completion of construction in 2007.
Today, the new Acropolis Museum has a total area of 25,000 square meters, with exhibition space of over 14,000 square meters, ten times more than that of the old museum on the Hill of the Acropolis. The new Museum offers all the amenities expected in an international museum of the 21st century.
For further information please visit www.theacropolismuseum.gr/en.
In 1869, the Greek Parliament allocated 80,000 square metres (860,000 sq ft) of public land between the Palace Gardens and the ancient Temple of Olympian Zeus, and also passed a law on 30 November 1869, "for the building works of the Olympic Games", as the Zappeion was the first building to be erected specifically for the revival of the Olympic Games in the modern world. Following some delay, on 20 January 1874, the cornerstone of the building was laid; this new building would be designed by Danish architect Theophil Hansen. Finally, on 20 October 1888, the Zappeion opened. Unfortunately for its benefactor, Evangelis Zappas, he did not live long enough to see the Zappeion built, and his cousin Konstantinos Zappas was nominated by Evangelos Zappas to complete the building. The Austrian Parliament Building was also designed by Hansen and followed the same theme in the exterior.